SSH strangeness on 4.9

Christian Hartmann christian.hardy at t-online.de
Sun Feb 1 18:16:11 PST 2004

Dear list && R.Schilling,

I had the same issue between macosx and linux.
It seems, that a process/ sh is running (in the background ).

I my case it happend with the program screen.
screen is running on linux. than I logged in from a maxosx to my linux
box and reattaching the screen. next I opened a new screen-shell
and after all work is done, I detach the screen, log out and went back
to my linux box. On that box I have  sometimes an idle ssh-connection, which
seems to hang.
I only realize that issue from time to time.
As you asks this list, I have spent some time to understand my
hanging ssh-connections. the only way to close the hanging connection
was to switch and close the screen-shell, which I opened
after the ssh-login.
So I believe at most to Gregory Bond, that there is at least
one process, which was started and still not stop.

What shows the 'w' command ? Do you see the hanging connections
with a tty ? than check all processes to this tty.

I hope, it helps in any way.

Christian

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 06:37:42PM -0800, Richard Schilling wrote:
> it was related to the job I was running on the Solaris box, but never
> did find the answer.  In my case when I exit from the other box the
> connection seems to hang.
[...]