mesg Broke on Stable between 8/21 and 8/28

horio shoichi bugsgrief at bugsgrief.net
Mon Aug 30 06:52:52 PDT 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:56:48 -0700
Dave Tweten <tweten at nas.nasa.gov> wrote:
> When I replaced a STABLE build from 8/21 with one from 8/29, "mesg"
> stopped working on xterms.
>
> I treat each xterm as a login shell, and include "mesg n" in .login.
> The problem seems to be that ownership of /dev/ttyp? is not being
> transferred to the user anymore.  I remember that "options UCONSOLE"
> was involved in the transfer of ownership.  That configuration element
> was in both the 8/21 and 8/28 kernels; nothing was changed in the
> config file.
>
> I checked the mailing list archives, and there does seem to be some
> recent action in the tty driver area.  Unfortunatly, we were
> compromised recently, and I'm only now getting my connections to e-mail
> lists (including this one) re-established, so my knowledge of recent
> list traffic is limited to what I can find on the web site.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what has caused the change?
> --
> M/S 258-5                |1024-bit PGP fingerprint:|tweten at nas.nasa.gov
> NASA Ames Research Center| 41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59|     (650) 604-4416
> Moffett Field, CA  94035 | 7C 80 10 20  25 C7 2F E6|FAX: (650) 604-4377
> Not an official NASA position; you can't even be certain who sent this!

Similar here. On 4.9-STABLE (I'm awaiting ipfilter straightened out).

The symptoms are:

o 'mesg n' in .cshrc doesn't cause problem when remotely logged in,

o starting up with xterm or running script are 'permission denied',

o vi command 'set nomesg' is 'Operation not permitted'.

The stem of those problems of mine is recent dropping of setuid bit
from /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm.

I tried setting setuid bit on /usr/bin/mesg. It solved the first problem
but not the second. So, due to the fear of further unforeseen troubles
(although 'set nomesg' itself doesn't look make much sense),
I have set setuid back on xterm. Now, it is (they are):

% ls -aFl /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel      27 Aug 30 11:26 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm@ -> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm-static
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  260792 Aug 29 06:23 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm-static*
%

horio shoichi