mesg Broke on Stable between 8/21 and 8/28

Dave Tweten tweten at nas.nasa.gov
Sun Aug 29 18:56:49 PDT 2004

When I replaced a STABLE build from 8/21 with one from 8/29, "mesg"
stopped working on xterms.

I treat each xterm as a login shell, and include "mesg n" in .login.
The problem seems to be that ownership of /dev/ttyp? is not being
transferred to the user anymore.  I remember that "options UCONSOLE"
was involved in the transfer of ownership.  That configuration element
was in both the 8/21 and 8/28 kernels; nothing was changed in the
config file.

I checked the mailing list archives, and there does seem to be some
recent action in the tty driver area.  Unfortunatly, we were
compromised recently, and I'm only now getting my connections to e-mail
lists (including this one) re-established, so my knowledge of recent
list traffic is limited to what I can find on the web site.

Does anyone have any idea what has caused the change?
M/S 258-5                |1024-bit PGP fingerprint:|tweten at nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center| 41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59|     (650) 604-4416
Moffett Field, CA  94035 | 7C 80 10 20  25 C7 2F E6|FAX: (650) 604-4377
Not an official NASA position; you can't even be certain who sent this!