why the command of "who" dosen't work while i login through xdm

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Aug 16 10:28:42 PDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, [gb2312] leo wrote:

> Hello,
> The version of FreeBSD I use is 4.10.
>
> After I login the system through the xdm from a remote
> machine which runs the simulated X terminal.I start
> the kde enviornment in the .xsession file under the ~/
>  directory. after the kde started.I open konsole of
> kde(version 1.3.2) and type the command of who, and
> the konsole tells me that there nobody login to the
> system. neither i can see anybody has logined the
> system in the local terminal.It's a surpring
> phenomena.

konsole is not writing utmp entires it appears.  I'll have to check this
on my work box (which is on -CURRENT) but I think its fixed in later
versions of konsole.  The login records are a function of whatever spawns
the terminal, which is usually login(8) but in X its usually xterm.

its not fatal but can be disconcerting :)