pcm0 freezes computer with recent -STABLE

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Sep 24 07:42:24 PDT 2003

In message: <200309240310.12685.patrick at filespanker.com>
            Patrick C <patrick at filespanker.com> writes:
: On September 22, 2003 06:37 pm, you wrote:
: > In message: <3F6F8857.200 at tenebras.com>
: >
: >             Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> writes:
: > : Patrick C wrote:
: > : > I just cvsup'd Sept 21, installed everything today... kernel freezes
: > : > when detecting pcm0 during boot. After removing my soundcard, I'm able
: > : > to boot no problem. Any major changes to pcm0 in -STABLE lately?
: > :
: > : This happened intermittently to my Dell Inspiron -- there is a bug
: > : in the pcibus.c device probe, actually.   See if the following cures
: > : it.  Warner supposedly had a more correct revision, but I don't
: > : think it's been mfc'd.
: >
: > Yes.  I'm pretty sure it has been MFC'd.  Checking just now shows that
: > it has been MFC'd.
: >
: > Warner
:
: Nope. cvsup'd today after reading this, built and installed kernel/world
: again... same problem. FWIW, switching BIOS to PnP seems to fix that, but
: then my NIC doesn't work (yes, I realize it can be configured to work)

this isn't the pci scanning changes then.  There's some other problem
at work here.  the pci scanning issue is known to only impact weird
CPUs found currently in Soekris boxes...

Warner