pcm0 freezes computer with recent -STABLE

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Wed Sep 24 14:32:33 PDT 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 07:42 am, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <200309240310.12685.patrick at filespanker.com>
>
>             Patrick C <patrick at filespanker.com> writes:
> : On September 22, 2003 06:37 pm, you wrote:
> : > In message: <3F6F8857.200 at tenebras.com>
> : >
> : >             Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> writes:
> : > : Patrick C wrote:
> : > : > I just cvsup'd Sept 21, installed everything today... kernel
> : > : > freezes when detecting pcm0 during boot. After removing my
> : > : > soundcard, I'm able to boot no problem. Any major changes to
> : > : > pcm0 in -STABLE lately?
> : > :
> : > : This happened intermittently to my Dell Inspiron -- there is a
> : > : bug in the pcibus.c device probe, actually.   See if the
> : > : following cures it.  Warner supposedly had a more correct
> : > : revision, but I don't think it's been mfc'd.
> : >
> : > Yes.  I'm pretty sure it has been MFC'd.  Checking just now shows
> : > that it has been MFC'd.
> : >
> : > Warner
> :
> : Nope. cvsup'd today after reading this, built and installed
> : kernel/world again... same problem. FWIW, switching BIOS to PnP
> : seems to fix that, but then my NIC doesn't work (yes, I realize it
> : can be configured to work)
>
> this isn't the pci scanning changes then.  There's some other problem
> at work here.  the pci scanning issue is known to only impact weird
> CPUs found currently in Soekris boxes...

When I did the RELENG_4 update with the security patch in it to this
system (topaz) with USB on it, the boot died with the latest
4.9-prefelease. It also completely hung my kvm switch. That happens
occasionally but had never been caused by topaz before. My gateway
computer is not having any problems with the same code.

I will go back when it is quiet and see where the boot stops.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA