Mail selection options in sysinstall(8).

Ceri Davies setantae at submonkey.net
Fri Sep 19 10:54:02 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 10:51:44AM -0700, Chris Pressey wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 07:48:02 -0700
> Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> wrote:
>
> > Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > > As mentioned by Tom's original mail that isn't possible due to the
> > > qmail license.  You can go bug djb about it :-) (though I doubt it
> > > will change anything).
> > >
> > > Note, the license is the reason why qmail isn't included, it's not a
> > > crusade against qmail - I also use qmail myself some places.
> >
> > Note:  in my view the problem is that the current port maintainer
> > has decided to produce an install that is not conformant with
> > Dan's license granting an exception to the requirement for his
> > approval.  It is entirely possible to make a binary package that
> > either:  meets with his approval, or;  fulfills the requirements
> > for the exemption.
>
> I quite agree.  Quoting http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html :
>
> "You are permitted to distribute a precompiled var-qmail package if (1)
> installing the package produces exactly the same /var/qmail hierarchy as
> a user would obtain by downloading, compiling, and installing
> qmail-1.03.tar.gz, fastforward-0.51.tar.gz, and dot-forward-0.71.tar.gz;
> (2) the package behaves correctly, i.e., the same way as normal
> qmail+fastforward+dot-forward installations on all other systems; and
> (3) the package's creator warrants that he has made a good-faith attempt
> to ensure that the package behaves correctly."
>
> Frankly I'd be surprised if a package built straight from the qmail port
> didn't meet these requirements.

If I installed a package that put itself in /var simply because the guy who
wrote it says that's where it should be (on my system!), then I wouldn't be
best pleased.  Enough said.

Ceri
--
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.