booting from SCSI drive /w IDE raid

Tim Middleton x at Vex.Net
Sat Nov 8 22:04:39 PST 2003

I have a box (Intel STL2) that I'm trying to install 4.9 on. The installation
goes fine, but I've yet to get the box to actually boot the O/S.

The best I've done so far is get the bootmanager prompting:

F1 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 1

Now if i hit F1 nothing happens. If I hit F5 i get:

F1 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 0

If I hit F5 here i'm back where i started; if i hit F1 at this second
bootmanager prompt I am greeted by an "invalid partition" error, and the ever
mysterious boot prompt:

Invalid partition error
Invalid partitoin error
No /boot/loader

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 1:da(1,a)/kernel
boot:

Here is the probable complication. The box has a SCSI drive on it, and a IDE
Raid card. The first time I installed 4.9 I actually forgot to plug the SCSI
drive back in, and not paying sufficient attention actually installed the O/S
onto the RAID drive... it worked fine. Booted up okay. I noticed the raid
showed up as da0 and the real SCSI drive (once plugged back in) was da1.

But, I don't want the O/S on the RAID... the O/S needs to be on the SCSI
drive. I repartitioned the RIAD and installed to the SCSI drive. The
installation goes fine, but I find I have this boot problem described
above...

I have read in the install documentation where it advises: "Important: If you
are installing FreeBSD on a drive other than your first, then the FreeBSD
boot manager needs to be installed on both drives."

Figuring it would be safest, I have done this, as I think is evidenced by
being able to switch between boot menus above with F5.

However either bootmanager can seem to find a partition to boot the kernel. So
the eternal question: any advice?

--
Tim Middleton | Cain Gang Ltd | I have lived through whole tragedies
x at veX.net     | www.Vex.Net   | without speaking a word. --Dost. (GC)