syscon cursor change in 4.9-STABLE?

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sat Nov 1 20:51:44 PST 2003

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:58, Darren Henderson wrote:
> Ok, potentially silly observation time - may just be a sign of my brain
> ossifying ... have upgraded three systems to 4.9-STABLE with a cvsup from
> 10/31. Two from 4.9 pre-releases and one from 4.8-STABLE.
>
> The cursor behavior in the console (and rxvt and xterm) seems to have
> changed. I seem to recall it having always been a slow blinking block. Now
> its a non-blinking block. Can't seem to get it to go back to what I
> remember. vidcontrol -c blink causes to the cursor to blink in syscons but
> at a very rapid rate. Not sure I see how the behavior of syscons and the X
> terminals could be related.
>
> Only things in rc.conf are 'saver="warp"', 'blanktime="300"' and
> 'keyrate="fast"'.
>
> So, on the basis of this, am I imagining things?

I'm running 4.7-STABLE and I have steady block cursors both in console and
xterm -- I haven't taken any specific action to set them this way. Nor do I
recall having blinking cursors on earlier versions. It could be you found
some way of setting this up earlier that has now got lost. May be I am
missing something -- I would hate to suggest your brain really is ossifying;-)

More likely you are just mis-remembering which happens to most of us some of
the time (even me).

Malcolm Kay