Updating 5.1 sources

Harald Schmalzbauer h at schmalzbauer.de
Sat Nov 1 07:32:21 PST 2003

On Thursday 19 June 2003 03:39, westcoastlew at earthlink.net wrote:
> wondering how I would go about updating my sources in 5.1.
> I don't have local access to the server it's self, So I cannot "shutdown
> now" Last time I had upgraded sources, ruined everything.. Anyone have any
> good documentation on upgrading kernel / sources? I run 5.1 - RELEASE #0
> I'd like to run FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT.  westcoastlew at earthlink.net

Fist, correct your date.
Next I'd suggest cvsup and a careful look at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/
en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html and following.
Updating sources would never ruin anything!
And FreeBSD is not only a kernel but a complete operating system so just
building a new kernel can lead you into trouble.

Good luck,

-Harry

P.S: Why do you state a reply in the subject (Re:) when it isn't one?