WLAN support

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Fri May 30 04:38:58 PDT 2003

Hi folks!

First post here, so please don't bother if it's not the right place
to post those kind of questions.

I'm currently running a 4.7-release (upgrade to 4.8 planned but not
yet started) on my production box.

As I would like to setup a small WLAN (major use for my notebook,
other clients are possible) I need to know which cards are really
supported. The handbook is IMHO not clear about that (the chipsets
are documented but how do I know which card is using what chipset
as the manufacturers doesn't really name the chipset?).

I've got a list of possible WLAN NICs and am wondering if somebody
has any experience using one of them with FreeBSD 4.x?

Netgear WG511 (Cardbus) or WAG511 (Cardbus, 5 + 2.4 GHz)
SMC 2802W (PCI) or 2835W (Cardbus)
D-Link DWL G520 (PCI) or DWL G650 (Cardbus)
Belkin 802.11g/+ (don't have a product name by hand, PN PCI:
F5D7000, PN Cardbus: F5D7010 - not yet on market)

All of these cards are 802.11g devices (54 MBit/s).

What about support on FreeBSD for these devices? Any experience?

I would like to setup one FreeBSD box (4.7 / 4.8 or even 5.0/5.1)
as a router and have at least one notebook connected wireless
(running both Win2k and FreeBSD).

As I was reading that the high speed wireless devices are having a
better operating range compared to 802.11b devices, I don't want to
install 802.11b devices.

TIA,

Volker