Freezing after"Mountingroot from/dev/ad0s1a..."

ertank at softhome.net ertank at softhome.net
Thu Mar 27 06:31:57 PST 2003

Hello,

Recently I had a problem with my freebsd 4.8-PRERELEASE machine.

This machine is away from my reach. So, I faced with the problem when
all is happened, and I could not get any information from anybody near
the computer.

The problem is: When the machine is booting. It probes the devices and
when it comes to mount the file systems it just stops. Console is not
locked I can reset the machine with ctrl+alt+del it normally closes and
resets.

I waited more than an hour but it just stays there. Cursor is at the
left under the text "Mounting root from /dev/ad0s1a..." Enter or ctrl+c
does not help.

I could not find the problem or find a solution. I connected the disk to
anouther FreeBSD machine and it is OK. I can mount the root of the
hanging disk on this machine. But, when I connect the problematic disk
as booting device. It is the same hanging again. So, the problem is not
dependent to the hardware (maybe we can not exclude disk)

So, I installed the OS from beginning. Now there seems to be no problem.

I thought it might be a swap area issue or something, but I could not
find out.

Does anybody faced a problem like that before? Can somebody say what to
look at if I face it again? Or, what to do?

Best Regards,

 --
Ertan Küçüko?lu
ertank at softhome.net