alternate system clock has died

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Fri Jun 27 06:48:29 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:39:06AM -0400, Robert Watson wrote:
> Many vendors have hardware diagnostic CD's available on their web sites
> that test various aspects of the system, such as the accuracy of the
> clock, the proper functioning of timers, etc.  You might want to give one
> a spin.  Also, if you have any identical (or very similar hardware) that
> does or does not exhibit the problem, that would be interesting also.

Unfortunately I don't have identical hardware available, but I'll check out
the mainboard vendor site for diagnostics.

> Speaking of systat -vmstat, in the interrupts column, what is the
> interrupt count for the rtc and clk lines?

I don't know because I can't get systat -vmstat to display anything but
the skeleton -- it waits about 5 seconds then prints this on a blank screen:

The alternate system clock has died!
Reverting to ``pigs'' display.

(which it then promptly does).

Hmm, wait. I'll try and comment out the check for etime < 0.5 in
usr.bin/systat/vmstat.c. OK, this works, I now get this with my hacked
version:

643840 clk irq0
       rtc irq8

Well that seems to be a pretty high rate, compared to a 4.7-PRE workstation
that does 100 interrupts a second :)

So what does this tell me?

--Stijn

--
Q: Why is Batman better than Bill Gates?