alternate system clock has died

Valentin Nechayev netch at iv.nn.kiev.ua
Mon Jun 30 13:56:33 PDT 2003

 Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 13:52:08, stijn (Stijn Hoop) wrote about "alternate system clock has died":

SH> I'm getting the message in the subject when I run systat -vm on a lightly
SH> loaded server. Top shows interesting CPU usage %:
SH> CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle

See LINT:

# Notes on APM
#  The flags takes the following meaning for apm0:
#    0x0020  Statclock is broken.
#  If apm is omitted, some systems require sysctl -w kern.timecounter.method=1
#  for correct timekeeping.

This is possibly the first thing should be done seeing dead statclock.
It was actual for SMP motherboards based on 440BX and similar chipsets.

> Could this have to do
> with the battery-backed CMOS clock?

Yes, statclock is RTC interrupts, but even if battery is dead, interrupts
should work.

-netch-