FreeBSD doesn't find my CD-RW and sometimes my DVD

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Jul 25 10:11:52 PDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:16:25 +0200
Lia Maggioni <voloterreno at tin.it> wrote:

LM> ACD0 is only the DVD , CD-RW (a Liteon 52x 24x 52x) isn't found at
LM> all!! Literally from DMESG:
LM>
LM> ata0-slave: ATA identify retries excedeed

	I've had similar problems with my Samsung 48/24/48, I could
usually get it recognised by using atacontrol to detach and reattach
the channel. Don't do this to channel 0 if you are booting of ata0-master
though.

LM> and sometimes it doesn't find my DVD too , with the message :
LM>
LM> ata1-slave: ATA identify retries excedeed
LM>
LM> so, I'm without CD and DVD :cry:
LM>
LM> What I can do??

	It might work better with them both on ata1 - I gave up and put
an LG drive in, works fine <clonk>.

	Anyone want a Samsung ?

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun