FreeBSD doesn't find my CD-RW and sometimes my DVD

Lia Maggioni voloterreno at tin.it
Fri Jul 25 04:12:10 PDT 2003

Hi , I'm disperated

I've recently installed FreeBSD 4.8 ,and all at the first look was ok ,
this was only a try in a small partition , and now I have decided to
install it in a bigger partition , so I've downloaded the 5.1 ISO (to
give it a try too) and I've tried to BURN it with "burncd" . Now, I've
noticed that in the DEV directory there are the devices "acd0a" and
"acd0c" , I've thought that acd0a was DVD and acd0c was CD-RW... but I
was wrong...

ACD0 is only the DVD , CD-RW (a Liteon 52x 24x 52x) isn't found at all!!
Literally from DMESG:

ata0-slave: ATA identify retries excedeed

and sometimes it doesn't find my DVD too , with the message :

ata1-slave: ATA identify retries excedeed

so, I'm without CD and DVD :cry:

What I can do??

My system is:

Athlon XP 2400+

MSI KT4 Ultra (KT400) MoBo

The CDRW and DVD are attached to the two slave of the two ATA channels

Help me please , I've tried to remove the DVD in order to try to get
CDRW recognised , but it doesn't work anyway

Thanks for help