FreeBSD 4.4-REL to FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE upgrade problem.

Dustin Puryear dpuryear at usa.net
Mon Jul 7 14:53:24 PDT 2003

At 02:27 PM 7/7/2003 -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
>On July 7, 2003 02:19 pm, you wrote:
> From the man page for mergemaster:
>      -p          Pre-buildworld mode.  Compares only files known to be
>essen-
>                  tial to the success of {build|install}world, including
>                  /etc/make.conf.
>
>There is a blurb near the top that mentions running pwd_mkdb with the -p
>option to rebuild the master password file.  I think this is what is
>confusing you.

My manpage must be outdated or just wrong then:

# man mergemaster | grep -- -p
      the -p option to rebuild your password databases and recreate

This is from a longer paragraph, and no mention is made of "Pre-buildworld
mode". This may be indeed what is throwing me. There seems to also be an
error in /usr/src/Makefile since it states that:

# For individuals wanting to upgrade their sources (even if only a
# delta of a few days):
#
# 1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
# 2.  `make buildworld'
# 3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
# 4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
# 5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
# 6.  `mergemaster -p'
# 7.  `make installworld'
# 8.  `mergemaster'
# 9.  `reboot'

Notice that there is no mention of mergemaster until step 6.

This is a test system, but it's remote and I don't want to clobber it
unnecessarily.

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin at puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.