FreeBSD 4.4-REL to FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE upgrade problem.

Dustin Puryear dpuryear at usa.net
Mon Jul 7 14:23:14 PDT 2003

At 01:59 PM 7/7/2003 -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > (/usr/src/Makefile comments)
> > 1. cd /usr/src
> > 2. make buildworld
> > 3. make buildkernel
> > 4. make installkernel
> > 5. reboot
> > 6. mergemaster -p
>
>There's your problem.  You should run "mergemaster -p" as step 2.  The
>-p means "Pre-buildworld".

This was suggested on another list actually. Unfortunately, either you are
wrong or the FreeBSD docs are wrong. In /usr/src/Makefile the steps are
listed in the order I show above. Also, per the mergemaster manpage the -p
option is used to update the "password database and recreate /etc/passwd."
Ultimately, I think that this is an issue with the kernel recognizing the
storage system, but I could be wrong! Please do correct me if I am.

Quick reminder for others: The 4.4-REL kernel is able to mount / fine, but
4.8-STABLE is not. This may either be a symptom of another problem, or the
immediate problem.

Is this off-topic for freebsd-stable?

---
Dustin Puryear <dustin at puryear-it.com>
Puryear Information Technology, LLC <http://www.puryear-it.com>
Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.