Error code 1 during 'make install'(FreeBSD 4.6.2)

Scott Sewall sewall at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 20 12:39:16 PDT 2003

Doug White wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, sysadmin wrote:
>

>>When doing "make install" under any port, I get *** Error code 1 after the
>>"Checking if *** already installed" (see below for help2man as an example).
>>This error seems to occur with any port, such as apg
>>(/usr/ports/security/apg). The tarball are fetched from Internet.
>>
>>I think this is due to the difference of version : CVS has RELENG_4_6_2 and
>>'make install' fetch (I believe) the latest version of the port.
>>
>>What could I do ?
>>

>One of:
>
>1. Upgrade to 4.7-RELEASE or later.
>2. Pull down source from 4.7-RELEASE or later and rebuild pkg_info.
>3. Dike out the calls to check-already-installed in _INSTALL_SEQ and
>   _INSTALL_SUSEQ in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk, and be careful about
>   cvsupping since it will blow away the change.

I experienced the same problem after updating ports on a 4.6.2 system on
Aug 18 and trying to install libtool14.

I chased the problem down to changes in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk, where
the -O flag is used with the pkg_info command.
Removing the -O flag allowed me to install the port.

A comment for Revision 1.458 of this file (Sun Jul 27 02:06:26 2003 UTC)
indicates the problem using -O was fixed.

-- Scott