Upgrade to 4.8 STABLE - Root mount failed: 6

Peter Jeremy peter.jeremy at alcatel.com.au
Tue Aug 12 16:52:43 PDT 2003

On 2003-Aug-12 17:40:08 -0600, Brent Macnaughton <Brent.Macnaughton at rdc.ab.ca> wrote:

>I had da in my kernel configure file:
>
>device          sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)
>device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
>device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
>device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

You have double-checked that the kernel you are trying to boot is
actually the kernel you built using that config file?

>During the boot process, if I press the spacebar to abort loading of the
>kernel, I can do an ls and see the files on the drive. As soon as the kernel
>tries to mount root , I get this:
>
>Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
>no such device 'da'
>setrootbyname failed
>ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
>Root mount failed: 6
>
>Any ideas?

Can you post a full dmesg of the failing boot?  You can get this by
using a serial console (see the Handbook).  If you have to copy it by
hand, the critical lines are the sym0 and da0 lines (or any errors
near where those lines should be).  How does it differ from the
dmesg when booting a good kernel?

Peter