Pioneer DVD-120s probe problem

Jason Andresen jandrese at mitre.org
Tue Apr 29 06:37:10 PDT 2003

Jason Andresen wrote:
> Hello, I'm building a new system for a friend and I bought a
> Pioneer DVD-120s drive for him because it was a newer version of the
> drive I use (DVD-116) and my friend uses (DVD-106s) with FreeBSD.  The
> problem is that FreeBSD cannot probe the drive for some reason.  I've
> tried twiddling the ATAPI_DMA bit, rescanned the drive, and toyed with
> the cable, but nothing seems to work.
>
> The BIOS can see the drive, in fact I can boot FreeBSD using the
> El-Torrito boot sector on the drive, but I cannot use the CD as the
> distribution in the installer.
>
> FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE boots all the way up to the point where it lists the
> ATA devices, then gets in an infinate loop with ATAPI Timeouts.
>
> FreeBSD 5-CURRENT does not get in an infinate loop, but returns the
> following error on boot:
>
> ata1-master: timeout waiting for interrupt
> ata1-master: ATAPI identify failed
>
> Using the following hardware:
> atapci0: <VIA 8233A UDMA133 controller> port 0xd000-0xd00f at device
> 17.1 on pci0
>
> The same problem occured with this hardware:
> atapci0: <VIA 8233 ATA100 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 17.1
> on pci0
>
> Windows XP has no trouble detecting or using this drive.  I have tried
> setting the region on the drive and that did not seem to help.
>
> Does anybody know what the problem is here?

Well, to follow up to my own post, I finally got the drive working.  It
seems FreeBSD would refuse to detect the drive if it was in the master
position.  Switching it over to slave on the ATA channel allowed FreeBSD
to detect it, even though there is no master on that channel.  I didn't
even think this was legal with ATA.  Anyway, the drive probes fine now
as ata1-slave.

   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese at mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer
_|  _|___|  _| _|_\___| Office: 703-883-7755