4.8-RELEASE

Bruce A. Mah bmah at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 1 23:08:11 PST 2003

If memory serves me right, Georgi Hristov wrote:
> I just noticed that the "4.8-Release" has populated
> the mirror servers around the world.
>
> I think this is the final, even though RE has not
> acknoledge it ... What are the chances of droping the
> tag, making some changes, and repopulating the FTP
> mirrors .. SLIM .. if there is any further issues with
> "4.8-Release" ...the problems with be noted in the
> Errata ... and patches would be release instead of
> making changes to the the one on the FTP server.
>
> I am not a FreeBSD guru, nor I am on the development
> team ... so this is just my assumpions ... that may
> happen to be correct. :)))

There's been no release announcement yet.  Until you see one, just
pretend that anything labeled "4.8-RELEASE" doesn't exist.  It's that
simple, OK?  :-)

In an ideal world, the release engineering team could put the
releases, well, "somewhere", they'd magically get pushed out
instantaneously to all of the mirror sites all around the world, and
be guaranteed to be correct.

In the real world, it takes a non-zero amount of time to get the data
to a reasonable subset of the mirrors.  Not all of the data is
available at the same time, and even if it were, it takes about a day
(at least) for most of the mirrors to get it, depending on what time
of the day and what day of the week we make the bits available.

There were (are?) two ongoing wrinkles in that the machine that was
holding disc1.iso (for the i386) went down for awhile yesterday, plus
we generally agreed that sending out a release announcement on 1 April
was a Bad Idea (TM).

Please be patient.

Bruce.
(RE team member, but speaking for myself)