sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when accessing NFS

Manuel Tobias Schiller mala at hinterbergen.de
Mon Dec 28 21:50:04 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/142102; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala at hinterbergen.de>
To: Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, Marius Strobl
 <marius at alchemy.franken.de>, Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala at hinterbergen.de>
Subject: Re: sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when
 accessing NFS
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:40:47 +0100

 On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:18:09 -0600
 Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:

 > It turns out the kernels on the T1s is much older than I thought.
 > I know I have been using something pretty close to 8.0R on one of
 > my machines at home but I am traveling right now and accessing it
 > would be kind of a pain.
 >
 > All our other sparcs don't use NFS to the same extent the above do
 > (they are pxebooted and e.g. /usr will go across NFS.)
 >
 > mcl

 Hi Mark,

 thanks for the clarification. With the situation being what you describe,
 I think I'll try upgrading my sources to the latest RELENG_8_0 ones to be
 on the safe side, check if the problem persists, and if so, I'll try to
 find a solution (unless I hear from someone to try something different).

 Another question springs to mind: If /usr goes across NFS, most traffic
 arriving at the NFS server should be reading, right? Because that appears
 to work without a glitch with the fix (at least on my machine). Right now,
 the panic is pushed back to the point when I try to write (i.e. copy a
 new file to the NFS server).

 Thanks for the quick reply,

 Manuel

 --