bootable PCI flash slot?

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Sat Mar 12 10:06:44 PST 2005

On 22 Oct 2004, at 15:10, Howard Jones wrote:

I've just finished preparing a FreeBSD-based flash-booting
router/firewall, which is currently using a DiskOnModule to boot from.
If possible, I'd like the flash to be externally accessible to make
upgrading or moving the flash a little simpler. Does anyone know of a
PCI-slot flash carrier that can present itself as a bootable IDE drive
with an external slot? I've found some PCI-PCMCIA cards, but they all
talk about Windows compatibility, and appear to be aimed at digital
camera users more than anything...

Answering my own question, mainly so it goes into the archive - these
are what I was looking for:
   http://www.milesie.co.uk/shop/asp/product1.asp?Product=445
   or
   http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=16#p2602

IDE-connected but with optional external slot through a PCI backplane.
Not hot-swap, but nice & cheap.

Best Regards,

Howard