FreeBSD Transient Memory problem?

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Fri Sep 13 16:46:52 UTC 2013

Dag-Erling Smrgrav wrote this message on Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 12:24 +0200:
> John-Mark Gurney <jmg at funkthat.com> writes:
> > for kernel malloc, look at sys/kern_malloc.c..  It doesn't look like
> > there is a knob to turn on kernel malloc filling, but it wouldn't be
> > hard...
>
> You want to do it in UMA, not in malloc() / free().

The reason I didn't suggest UMA is that UMA already has functions that
do the cleaning when destroying an object...  You can't just zero UMA
objects on free w/o calling fini, otherwise you might leak resources..
Plus, it would be a lot of work to fix all the UMA consumers to make
sure that their uminit/fini fuctions do the proper cleaning necessary...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579