FreeBSD Transient Memory problem?

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 12 14:49:23 UTC 2013

On 9/12/13 8:15 AM, Jonathon Wright wrote:
> All,
>
> I have posted this question (username-scryptkiddy) in the forums:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=41875
> but was suggested to bring it here to the mailing list for discussion.
>
> Basically, FreeBSD 8.3 (64bit) is what we use in our shop. We were
> inspected by a security team and they had issues with FreeBSD's memory
> management.
>
> Namely the transient memory and object reuse areas of FreeBSD. They claimed
> that FreeBSD did not have a Common Criteria (EAL1-4) evaluation completed,
> and therefore was vulnerable to the Transient memory problem.
>
> Our higher ups need some sort of documentation / testing  that can be used
> to counter this, since changing Operating Systems is not something we have
> time / manpower to do, but might have too based on this supposed 'finding'.
>
> The post has all the details. Let me know I need to repost in this as well.

Pretty much all they've proved to me is that they have no idea of what
they are talking about.
You need to ask them for a better description of the problem as so far
all you've
seen is about a hundred computer science professionals rolling around
on the floor
laughing when you showed them the paragraph from the report..

and you can quote me on that one.