Do I have an infected init file?

DH dhutch9999 at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 09:38:07 PDT 2005

Hello;

I'm running a FreeBSD 4.10-release-p2 box and both chkrootkit 0.44 & 0.45 report that my /sbin/init file is infected.

It appears as though the egrep for "UPX" in the output of "strings" triggers the infected notice. When I copy the init file from an uninfected box to this one chkrootkit continues to report it as infected. Is chkrootkit reading a copy of the /sbin/init file stored in active memory? If my machine is compromised, which rootkit is installed / how can I find out which rootkit is installed?

As a side note, neither Kaspersky AV nor rkhunter report any infections. Attached is some of the debug output.

Thanks in advance to any respondents.

Sincerely;

David Hutchens III