Do I have an infected init file?

Matt Piechota piechota at argolis.org
Thu May 12 14:00:10 PDT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, DH wrote:

> I'm running a FreeBSD 4.10-release-p2 box and both chkrootkit 0.44 &
> 0.45 report that my /sbin/init file is infected.

I should mention that 4.10-release is up to p13.  You should really think
about patching up to current.

> It appears as though the egrep for "UPX" in the output of "strings"
> triggers the infected notice. When I copy the init file from an
> uninfected box to this one chkrootkit continues to report it as
> infected. Is chkrootkit reading a copy of the /sbin/init file stored in
> active memory? If my machine is compromised, which rootkit is installed
> / how can I find out which rootkit is installed?

The easiest way to figure out if you are rooted is probably to download or
create a clean version of /sbin/init, and compare the two files.
Creating might take some work, you'd have to install a clean 4.10, patch
it to p2, and make world.

--
Matt Piechota
Key Available from pgp.mit.edu