IPFW disconnections and resets

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 29 15:26:40 PDT 2005

Neo-Vortex wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
>

>>1% is way too much.  use nohup.  eg:
>

> SSH dies, asin i get "Connection reset by peer" and my ssh session closes,
> i can restart it fine though and the rest of the rules are parsed fine,
> also, i dont get that on the window that im loading the firewall rulesets,
> only on my other session wich has irssi running wich sends a packet once
> every second to update the time... the box never needs to be physically
> touched :)
>
> ~Neo-Vortex

The best reply sofar (imho) was to use screen.

When i reload my ruleset i do that with:

pfctl -Fa -f /etc/pf.conf.new && sleep 180 && pfctl -Fa -f /etc/pf.conf

where the new file is my test setup and the other file is the current
working one. When i reload them with screen i am sure that the commands
read correctly and even when i get kicked out the screen application
still carries the commands given. In worst case i can access the machine
again after three minutes, which isn't that bad ;-)

Just my 0.02E(urocents)

--
Kind regards,

      Remko Lodder  ** remko at elvandar.org
      Reporter DSINET  **  remko at DSINet.org
      Founder Tienervaders  ** remko at tienervaders.org
      FreeBSD Documentation Project  ** remko at FreeBSD.org