IPSec delays

Kevin Glick glitch at ridiculum.woohaw.com
Thu Aug 7 17:46:02 PDT 2003

I've been using IPSec and racoon alot lately creating tunnels between FreeBSD machines.  Everything works as it should once I've got it running.  I do however seem to get delays when one, or both ends of the tunnel drop or are rebooted.  On reboot, once the machine starts racoon, it takes two or three minutes for the tunnel to come back up.  If I stop and restart racoon, it takes only 60 seconds.  I'd prefer to cut this time down on both to 30 seconds or less.  Below is my racoon.conf.  I've watched the racoon logs, and it doesn't give me any errors, or failed negotiations.  Any ideas?

path pre_shared_key "/usr/local/etc/racoon/psk.txt";

remote anonymous
{

        exchange_mode aggressive;
        doi ipsec_doi;
        situation identity_only;

\

        nonce_size 256;
        lifetime time 30 min;   # sec,min,hour
        initial_contact on;
        support_mip6 off;
        proposal_check obey;    # obey, strict or claim

        proposal {
                encryption_algorithm 3des;
                hash_algorithm sha1;
                authentication_method pre_shared_key ;