Scalar i40 tapechanger LUN appearing as a second tape drive

Kenneth D. Merry ken at FreeBSD.ORG
Tue Jun 5 18:07:21 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 19:28:54 +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> >> The best controllers to use are LSI (now Broadcom) 6Gb or 12Gb SAS
> >> controllers.  They have TLR support, which helps insure data integrity with
> >> tape drives.
> >
> > Ok - we surely have a few  SAS9201 and LSIA SAS9202???s around.
>
> Ok - So the summary is that 1) indeed the LSI controller see the Scalar i40 changer with no issue (and gives us a nice speed update). And that 2) that there may be some regression in the cam/scsi stack -- restoring a FreeBSD-8-RELEASE makes the P222 see the changer again.

I'm glad things work with the LSI controller!

That is strange that FreeBSD 8 works with the ciss(4) controller and 11.1
doesn't.  I would guess that something changed in the ciss(4) driver, but I
don't see anything really obvious in the logs.

> Next up - finding out what is wrong with LEOM (and amanda).

You're having problems with Amanda?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry