/dev/ch0 not recognized

Folkert Saathoff folkert.saathoff at kitesystems.com
Tue Jul 6 14:12:39 UTC 2010

yup, same situation here :/
for the record, Ubuntu 10.04 didn't work either. in RedHat, the whole controller + bus didn't show up at all after boot... turns out i had to  'echo "scsi engage" >| /proc/driver/cciss/cciss1' to have it recognized. posting this here because it took me quite a while to stumble across that particular fact :)

/f

On 6 Jul 2010, at 22:00, frank cheong wrote:

> [...]
> problematic open driver for freeBSD. Coz rehat works nicely with the changer
> using the drivers provided by HP (that means redhat also can't recognize
> this tape library using the default setup. Sad news is I will have to stick
> with redhat linux when everything works in order to save some money from
> grabbing another controller which suppose to work with freeBSD.
>
> BTW, I also have tried to install freeBSD with my Dell and a similar tape
> library and it works without problem. Having been told by other users that
> there is another controller from HP which is using LSI chipset which should
> works in freeBSD. But it is really a late news for me coz everything almost
> fixed.
>
> Frank
>
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Folkert Saathoff <
> folkert.saathoff at kitesystems.com> wrote:
>

>> actually we were having a similar experience with the smartarray p212...
>> attached a SAS tape changer (tandbergdata lto-4 autoloader) to it, but could
>> only see the tape drive, not the changer. in our case, the p212 was the
>> second smartarray controller on the bus (ciss1), with a P410 as the primary
>> one. i believe there's a bug about that as well. to contrast, another
>> machine with an IBM serveraid SAS controller and the same tape changer works
>> quite nicely out of the box with FreeBSD 8.0.
>>

>> please get in touch with me if you're a developer and want to see a dmesg
>> or similar.. :)
>>
>> cheers,
>> /folkert
>>

>> On 6 Jul 2010, at 15:04, frank cheong wrote:
>>
>>> Riding on
>>> http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Unix/BSD/FreeBSD/Q_26283427.html as
>> well
>>> as
>>>
>> http://www.pubbs.net/200911/freebsd/20344-ciss4-not-seeing-multiple-luns.html
>>> I would like to know if there is any way to manually create/link the
>>> /dev/ch0 driver for this case.
>>>
>>> Actually, I have my msl 2024 1760 SAS tape library attaching to my HP DL
>> 180
>>> G6 thru Smart Array P212. I can successfully use this tape library with
>> my
>>> window 2008 ad backup exec 2010. While from my freeBSD 8.0, 8.0 p3 or
>> even
>>> 8.1 RC2, I don't even see the /dev/ch0 device link whereby I can see this
>>> device using the camcontrol devlist -v. My question is: -
>>>
>>> 1. Is there any way I can manually create/link the /dev/ch0 device driver
>> ?
>>> 2. How can I achieve 1 if it is possible.
>>> 3. Having learnt that exposing disk mirror controller should be
>> considered
>>> as danger, may I have more information and background information about
>> that
>>> ? What specific problem will I encounter for that ?
>>>
>>> Pls find below the configuration details which is related to the tape

>>> 2:
>>> 3:
>>> 4:
>>> 5:
>>> 6:
>>> 7:
>>> 8:
>>> 9:
>>>
>>> server# dmesg | grep ciss
>>> ciss0: <HP Smart Array P212> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem
>>> 0xfb800000-0xfbbfffff,0xfbdff000-0xfbdfffff irq 24 at device 0.0 on
>>> pci6
>>>
>>> ciss0: PERFORMANT Transport
>>> ciss0: [ITHREAD]
>>> ciss1: <HP Smart Array P410> port 0xc800-0xc8ff mem
>>> 0xfb400000-0xfb7fffff,0xfb3ff000-0xfb3fffff irq 32 at device 0.0 on
>>> pci4
>>> ciss1: PERFORMANT Transport
>>> ciss1: [ITHREAD]
>>>
>>> sa0 at ciss0 bus 32 scbus1 target 6 lun 0
>>> da0 at ciss1 bus 0 scbus2 target 0 lun 0
>>>

>>> 1:
>>> 2:
>>> 3:
>>>
>>> 4:
>>> 5:
>>> 6:
>>> 7:
>>> 8:
>>> 9:
>>>
>>> server# camcontrol devlist -v
>>> scbus0 on ciss0 bus 0:
>>> scbus1 on ciss0 bus 32:
>>> <HP Ultrium 4-SCSI U52W>           at scbus1 target 6 lun 0 (sa0,pass0)
>>>
>>> scbus2 on ciss1 bus 0:
>>> <COMPAQ RAID ADGVOLUME OK>         at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass1)
>>> scbus3 on ciss1 bus 32:
>>> scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
>>> <>                                 at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)
>>>

>>> 1:
>>> 2:
>>> 3:
>>> 4: