/dev/ch0 not recognized

Sean Bruno seanbru at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Jul 6 16:28:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 05:40 -0700, Folkert Saathoff wrote:
> actually we were having a similar experience with the smartarray p212... attached a SAS tape changer (tandbergdata lto-4 autoloader) to it, but could only see the tape drive, not the changer. in our case, the p212 was the second smartarray controller on the bus (ciss1), with a P410 as the primary one. i believe there's a bug about that as well. to contrast, another machine with an IBM serveraid SAS controller and the same tape changer works quite nicely out of the box with FreeBSD 8.0.
>

> please get in touch with me if you're a developer and want to see a dmesg or similar.. :)
>
> cheers,
> /folkert

If you could post verbose boot output + sudo cissutil --dump

For example, my ciss controller on an HPDL180G5 looks like this:

controller 0 (HP       P400            )
logical drives: 2
running firmware 7.08
stored firmware 7.08
scsi bus count 1
drives per scsi bus 16
drives
(b0t8,b0t9,b0t10,b0t11,b0t12,b0t13,b0t14,b0t15,b1t0,b1t1,b1t2,b1t3)
scsi_bus_count 01
Battery 0: Not Present/Discharged
Cache is: Disabled
Total write cache size = 212992 KB
Write cache size = 212992 KB
Read cache size = 0 KB
Cache disabled map = 0x00000000
Cache enabled on:       (vol0,vol1)
rebuild (64) priority 1 ms for every host command
expand (64) priority 1 ms for every host command
vol0
     Volume is bootable:                   YES
     1 phys drives      (b0t8)
     status                                 OK
     failed drives      (none)
     block size                            512
     blocks available                585871964
     fault tolerance                     RAID0
     spare configured                       NO
     stripe size                          128k
vol1
     Volume is bootable:                   YES
     5 phys drives      (b0t15,b1t0,b1t1,b1t2,b1t3)
     status                                 OK
     failed drives      (none)
     block size                            512
     blocks available               4294967295
     fault tolerance                     RAID0
     spare configured                       NO
     stripe size                          128k