Drives not seen on Eurologic Ultrabloc 320 JBOD

Mike Hunter mhunter at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jan 12 12:36:40 PST 2005

Hi everybody,

This isn't exactly a FreeBSD question, but I'm hoping somebody out there
can point me in the right direction.

I have a FBSD 5.2.1 server with an adaptec 39160 that's hooked into a
Eurologic ultrabloc 320 JBOD that holds a bunch of disks for some CCDs.

I'm trying to upgrade the server to a dual opteron running 5-STABLE.  The
board is a tyan Thunder K8S Pro (S2882) with an onboard adaptec AIC-7902
chip.

I had hoped as part of the upgrade I'd just plug in the JBOD to the
external interface of the new server and everything would be great, but it
wasn't so.  The SCSI bios of the new server doesn't see any devices on
channel B, aside from the host adapter on 7.  (Channel A shows the internal
scsi drive and the adapter on 7).

I'm at a loss for what to do.  What I could find online says that the 7902
does support LVD, I've tried messing with the auto-termination settings,
etc., but it didn't help.

If it matters, the working config uses a cable with two 68 pin vhdci ends,
whereas the new server presents a non-vhdci 68 pin connector, and I have
a cable that goes to vhdci into the JBOD.  (I saw the lights on the
JBOD light up when I accidentally "hot-plugged" the new server into
it...does that prove anything?)

Does anything here strike anybody as obviously messed up?

Also, please CC me on reply as I'm not on the scsi list.

Thanks for any advice,

Mike