MegaRaid 2m Giant Locked-up

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 4 12:39:55 PST 2005

Robert keyes wrote:

> I've recently acquired an HP NetServer LP1000r, 2ith 2 Pentium IIIs at
> 1266 mhz with 2GB of PC133 ram, and a NetRaid 2M RAID controller, with 2
> 18GB HP 15k SCSI drives.
>
> Upon trying to install FreeBSD 5.3-Release, I've had problems with the
> NetRaid. I get two Giant Loced messages, the first from ohci0, and the
> second from amr0 and then the system hangs:
>
> amr0: <LSILogic MegaRAID> mem 0xf000000 -0x7ffffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on
> pci3
>
> amr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

This is just an informational message that the driver is using old the
SMP locking mechanism instead of it's own.  It does not indicate a bug
or a problem.  This has been addressed recently and can be tested by
updating your system.

> I have run HP's diagnostics utility on the machne, and it passed all
> tests. I have removed the NetRaid card and the drives are detected and
> fdisk shows them to still be formatted with the prior user's NTFS ;)
> So the problem is the netraid driver.
>
> When running the diagnostics, I noticed it reported the NetRaid-2m at
> memory base 0xf0000008 and irq 9 - so how is FreeBSD coming up with IRQ
> 16? Or am I mixing apples and oranges?

The diagnostics run the interrupt controllers in legacy mode.  There is
nothing to worry about here.

Have you actually installing and running FreeBSD despite these messages?

Scott