MegaRaid 2m Giant Locked-up

Robert keyes rkeyes at xa.net
Fri Feb 4 11:25:12 PST 2005

I've recently acquired an HP NetServer LP1000r, 2ith 2 Pentium IIIs at
1266 mhz with 2GB of PC133 ram, and a NetRaid 2M RAID controller, with 2
18GB HP 15k SCSI drives.

Upon trying to install FreeBSD 5.3-Release, I've had problems with the
NetRaid. I get two Giant Loced messages, the first from ohci0, and the
second from amr0 and then the system hangs:

amr0: <LSILogic MegaRAID> mem 0xf000000 -0x7ffffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on
pci3

amr0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

I have run HP's diagnostics utility on the machne, and it passed all
tests. I have removed the NetRaid card and the drives are detected and
fdisk shows them to still be formatted with the prior user's NTFS ;)
So the problem is the netraid driver.

When running the diagnostics, I noticed it reported the NetRaid-2m at
memory base 0xf0000008 and irq 9 - so how is FreeBSD coming up with IRQ
16? Or am I mixing apples and oranges?

If it is helpful in debugging, I can put the file containing the HP
diagnostic details up on the web.

Regards,
Robert Keyes