3ware twe driver

Michael Smith msmith at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 11 15:20:16 PDT 2003

On Sep 11, 2003, at 2:45 PM, Pailloncy Jean-Gérard wrote:

> I use a OpenBSD box with a 3ware card.
> The FreeBSD driver has the possibility to rebuild a degraded array.
> But the OpenBSd one's, wich is based on the FreeBSD one's, has not.
> I ask the developer of the OpenBSD twe driver if he plans to add this
> in a futur.
> He answers me that maybe he will have a look inside the FreeBSD
> driver, but he would prefer to have better documentation from 3ware.

No such documentation exists, I'm afraid.

> I was wondering if you have some documentation that it is related to
> the 3ware card that help you  to build the FreeBSD driver  ? and if it
> is available ?

I used the Linux driver, along with some support from an engineer that
was at 3ware at the time.

However, I'm a little perplexed when you say that the FreeBSD driver
can rebuild an array; it can't.
There's an interface for the 3ware management tool (3dm) which is
certainly capable of instigating
an array rebuild, but most rebuild operations are undertaken
transparently by the card.

Regards,

  = Mike

--
"there is no reliable algorithm for ensuring efficient memory usage,
and none is possible" [Wilson95]