RFC: Replacing graphics/ruby-rmagick with graphics/rubygem-rmagick

Ryan Steinmetz zi at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 31 02:53:23 UTC 2011

All,

I am planning on removing graphics/ruby-rmagick and replacing it with
graphics/rubygem-rmagick, pending maintainer/mentor approval.

They both install the same library (RMagick2.so), however, the rubygem
registers with the gem framework.  Without it being registered as a gem,
other ruby applications which depend on the gem consider it not to be
installed and complain.

As a result, I believe that the best course of action is to update the
dependencies in the two ports that depend on ruby-rmagick
(graphics/rubygem-gruff and www/redmine) and remove
graphics/ruby-rmagick, replacing it with graphics/rubygem-rmagick.

I'd welcome any thoughts/feedback you may have.

I do not have any attachments to being the MAINTAINER for
rubygem-rmagick, so if stas@ (or anyone else) is interested in it,
please let me know.

Thanks!
-r

--
Ryan Steinmetz
PGP: EF36 D45A 5CA9 28B1 A550  18CD A43C D111 7AD7 FAF2