cvs commit: src/etc devd.conf

Mike Makonnen mtm at FreeBSD.Org
Sat Jan 26 09:16:25 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 08:51 -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I like the idea of the quite prefix, but I think we should discuss how
> to implement it a little more before we change everything. :)
>
> My suggestion at this point is that we add a knob (rc_quiet?) to enable
> the new behavior, off by default initially. That way people can
> experiment with this at their leisure, and we can gradually get a feel
> for what should and should not be "hidden" behind the quiet knob.
>
> I think eventually this will become the default, I'd just like us to
> ease into the transition in a way that we can modify more easily than
> having to go back and re-edit all the scripts that are affected.

Hi Doug,

I'm not sure what you mean. Currently, the only thing behind the quiet
knob is the message telling you the service wasn't started (or whatever)
and that you need to either enable it in rc.conf(5) or use the 'one'
prefix. It *has* to be there because otherwise you will get a lot of
spammage every time you boot, run a script like /etc/netstart or devd(8)
automatically runs a script. As for the support for this feature. Quite
a few people emailed their support for it when I backed out the initial
version.

As for what should be behind the quiet knob: I'm currently leaning
towards anything you would like to see in an interactive session.
Anyways, I should have a few patches for that in a little bit.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen         | GPG-KEY: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mtm.asc
mmakonnen @ gmail.com | AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8 5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55