cvs commit: src/etc devd.conf

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 26 08:51:03 PST 2008

Mike Makonnen wrote:
> mtm         2008-01-26 13:50:38 UTC
>
>   FreeBSD src repository
>
>   Modified files:
>     etc                  devd.conf
>   Log:
>   Generally, anything that runs rc.d scripts internally should
>   start using the quiet prefix (i.e. quietstart, quietstop, etc...).
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.39      +5 -5      src/etc/devd.conf
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/devd.conf.diff?&r1=1.38&r2=1.39&f=h

Mike,

I like the idea of the quite prefix, but I think we should discuss how
to implement it a little more before we change everything. :)

My suggestion at this point is that we add a knob (rc_quiet?) to enable
the new behavior, off by default initially. That way people can
experiment with this at their leisure, and we can gradually get a feel
for what should and should not be "hidden" behind the quiet knob.

I think eventually this will become the default, I'd just like us to
ease into the transition in a way that we can modify more easily than
having to go back and re-edit all the scripts that are affected.

Doug