rcorder blues

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 29 23:39:30 UTC 2007

Danny Braniss wrote:
> hi all,
> 	Under 6.2 I set early_late_divider to amd, and since local_rc
> points to an 'automounted directory', rcorder will include the rc-files
> from my shared-local/etc/rc.d.

In theory there should be nothing wrong with doing this, however amd
happens pretty late in the default rcorder, so it is pretty likely
that something is going to get rearranged when you start including
your local files.

> 	Since 7.0 this 'trick' no longer works, some rc-files, that
> in the first run appeared after amd/early_late_divider, in the second
> run appear before amd, and so never get executed.

Voila.

> 	The quick and dirty solution, was for rc.initdiskless to copy
> the 'shared/local_rc/' to /etc/rc.d (thanks to unionfs:-), and so all
> was 'almost' ok.

Yeah, that's not a good idea. :)

> 	Is there some tool to 'debug' rcorder? ie. list the reason
> for the order?

Those are two different questions. :) To debug the issue you are
describing I use the patch at
http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/rc-debug.diff. To understand why
rcorder does things the way it does, read the man page ... then you
pretty much have to go through the PROVIDE, REQUIRE, and BEFORE lines
in the rc.d scripts you have to figure out how you can make things
more deterministic.

Please note that (at least on my system) there is a "mostly harmless"
bug in our current ordering that causes the resolv script to be
ordered very late without including /usr/local stuff, and first after
it is included, which means it is never run on my system. If you see
that issue, don't worry about it, it's on the list of things that
should be fixed someday, but isn't a priority.

hth,

Doug