Use of rcorder for local rc.d/*.sh scripts

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Jun 9 21:02:24 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:39:55PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Glad to hear that we're more or less in agreement ...
>
> Brooks Davis wrote:
>
> > One thing to worry about is that this does actually require a flagday.
> > Currently, the RC_ORDER bsd.port.mk variable allows scripts to be
> > included in rcorder by installing them directly in /etc/rc.d.  Any thing
> > that used the new flag and moved back to /usr/local/etc/rc.d would stop
> > working on 5.x in this case.  I suppose we could modify the RC_ORDER
> > support to install the files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d on systems with the
> > rc changes.  That would require a couple of port build runs though.
>
> Agreed, we need to coordinate this with the ports folks carefully, but I'm
> less concerned about that because the ports freeze for 6-release won't be
> for a long time. The freeze/slushie for the base is tomorrow. :)
>
> I sent a note to re@ saying that this change was coming, so hopefully they
> can cut us a little slack. But it sounds like we agree on the big picture
> stuff, if we can get some patches out tonight for broader review (say on
> -current and -ports), then I would feel comfortable getting the code in the
> base tomorrow before the freeze, then refining it in the next couple months.

Do you want to work up a patch for /etc/rc or at least the outline of
the idea to sent out for wider exposure?  JR told me in private e-mail
that he will be mostly out of contact until next Tuesday so one of us
needs to do it.  I've got more build testing to do on my ifnet patch,
a few changes to dig up that I forgot I hadn't committed, and some
real-job work to do before tomarrow so I'd rather it wasn't me.  I think
JR's localpkg changes in gnats are right subject to some testing.

-- Brooks