Use of rcorder for local rc.d/*.sh scripts

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 9 20:39:57 GMT 2005

Glad to hear that we're more or less in agreement ...

Brooks Davis wrote:

> One thing to worry about is that this does actually require a flagday.
> Currently, the RC_ORDER bsd.port.mk variable allows scripts to be
> included in rcorder by installing them directly in /etc/rc.d.  Any thing
> that used the new flag and moved back to /usr/local/etc/rc.d would stop
> working on 5.x in this case.  I suppose we could modify the RC_ORDER
> support to install the files in /usr/local/etc/rc.d on systems with the
> rc changes.  That would require a couple of port build runs though.

Agreed, we need to coordinate this with the ports folks carefully, but I'm
less concerned about that because the ports freeze for 6-release won't be
for a long time. The freeze/slushie for the base is tomorrow. :)

I sent a note to re@ saying that this change was coming, so hopefully they
can cut us a little slack. But it sounds like we agree on the big picture
stuff, if we can get some patches out tonight for broader review (say on
-current and -ports), then I would feel comfortable getting the code in the
base tomorrow before the freeze, then refining it in the next couple months.

Doug