FreeBSD 10 and manually compile applications without gcc

Bigby James bigby.james at dimthoughts.com
Fri Jan 23 16:20:33 UTC 2015

> Running ./configure --help can be helpful. It shows what the possible options
> and environment variables are.

You can also read the Makefile for a port, or run 'make showconfig' and 'make
showconfig-recursive.' The latter will show you a list of options that can be
ticked off in the dialog box a build time; the former is a way to see any
options that (for whatever reason) might not be presented in the dialog box.

> For another app that I needed to compile outside of the ports tree...

Consider having a look  at two things: the Porter's Handbook,[1] and
ports-mgmt/portshaker.[2] The first is self-explanatory; the second is a means
of managing your own self-written ports in tandem with the official ports tree.
If you're at all familiar with Gentoo, it's basically the same concept as a
Portage overlay.

[1]: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
[2]: https://www.freshports.org/ports-mgmt/portshaker/

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams