minor syslog issue

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 30 20:50:39 UTC 2015

On 04/30/15 15:43, John Howie wrote:
> Aha, the missing piece of information! That will make a huge difference.
>
> Have you considered using a GPS or cellular connection for more accurate timekeeping?
>
> Also, I diskless boot a couple of my RPIs to avoid all SHDC wear and tear. You might want to look at that, too. You could avoid using syslog to write to a loghost in this fashion, if they boot from your existing box.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 30, 2015, at 15:55, William A. Mahaffey III <wam at hiwaay.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On 04/30/15 14:56, John Howie wrote:
>>> A little OT but do you really want the RPI to be your time server? It has no hardware clock. The time keeping will be (relatively) terrible.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>> Actually, it keeps pretty good time. I do have a DS3231 RTC chip on the GPIO slot, however, it is not (yet) fully supported. As long as there are no power burps (yes it is on an UPS), I am OK.
>>
>> --
>>
>>     William A. Mahaffey III

My ISP is a stratum-3 server (used to be 2 a few years back) & I'm
straying less than 1 usec after an hour or 2 up (I unplug from the WWW
every night & whenever I'm going to be away from the LAN for a while).
I'm happy enough w/ their time-keeping. If that DS3231 support comes in
(they *are* working on it, AFAIK), I'll be solid enough for my needs.

I should look into running it diskless, but I am still pretty far down
the ol' learning curve. This exercise was/is partly/mostly for learning,
although it does a good job as my time-master.

Next job is to get another one (RPiB+) setup as a WAP for my LAN ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III