LDAP bind to Open Directory

Jaime Kikpole jkikpole at cairodurham.org
Thu Apr 23 21:26:18 UTC 2015

I *think* I have a FreeBSD system set up as an LDAP client.  I could
be wrong about that, but it looks like I've got everything but
password checks.  I was hoping someone here could help.

I made a new VM with FreeBSD 10.1.  I have pam_ldap and nss_ldap
installed and (as far as I can tell) configured.  I added a line to
/etc/pam.d/sshd to enable LDAP accounts to login over SSH.  I figured
this was a place to test.  I can still SSH as a local user, but LDAP
users aren't authenticating.  When the LDAP user "testdoc6" tries to
SSH in, /var/log/messages shows this:

Apr 23 16:27:51 fstest1 sshd[819]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as
user "uid=testdoc6,cn=users,dc=dir,dc=cairodurham,dc=org" (Invalid
credentials)
Apr 23 16:27:51 fstest1 sshd[815]: error: PAM: authentication error
for illegal user testdoc6 from 10.1.20.24

On the LDAP server, I see messages like this:

Apr 23 2015 16:27:51 520401us    AUTH2:
{0x2eef29585ec611e495c7406c8f39f47e, testdoc6} CRAM-MD5 authentication
failed, SASL error -13 (password incorrect).

By contrast, when I successfully login to an old Mac file server with
testdoc6, the directory server shows this:

Apr 23 2015 16:20:23 783104us    AUTH2:
{0x2eef29585ec611e495c7406c8f39f47e, testdoc6} DIGEST-MD5
authentication succeeded.

The directory server's messages appear in what Apple named "Password
Service Server Log".

Can anyone help me figure out what I did wrong?

--
Jaime Kikpole
Network Administrator

Technical Support:
help at cairodurham.org
go.cairodurham.org/techtips

--
This electronic message and any attachment(s) may contain confidential or
legally privileged information protected by law from further disclosure and