Request deletion of posts from Freebsd.org

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 22 22:11:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 09:25:15AM -0400, Dwaine Falls wrote:
> Dear Freebsd.org
>
> I am contacting you to request removal of a post I did some years ago on
> your site titled “Scott Crain from Xenia?? (who played a Driud in Rob
> Scites Campaign).”

As you can see on the bottom of the info page[1] about this mailing list,
the list is run by a moderator; freebsd-questions-owner at freebsd.org

Therefore I would respectfully suggest that you mail this question to the
moderator instead of to the list itself; it is off-topic. That is also why I'm
not sending this reply to the list.

But I don't think that the moderator will remove any messages.

> As the time of sending my email, I was unaware it would be posted for
> others to see and be included in Google searches. If I would have known it
> would be posted within the public domain, I would not have sent it.

The FreeBSD mailing lists are subscription-only. The name mailing list
*implies* that the message is re-sent to all subscribers.

The fact that messages are archived in perpetuity is clearly mentioned on the
info page[1] of the list and in appendix C of the FreeBSD handbook[2].

[2]: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/eresources.html

Additionally, according to the privacy policy[3], anything you send to a
mailing list that you have subscribed to is considered *public*.

[3]: https://www.freebsd.org/privacy.html

Quoting the relevant pieces;

    We store information such as your email address, name, and organization or
    company ("Personally Identifiable Information") only if you decide to send us
    such information by submitting a FreeBSD bug or problem report ("PR"),
    subscribing to one of the FreeBSD mailing lists or posting content to our Site
    forums. The FreeBSD Project allows unlimited distribution of that content.
    Information submitted in those reports and lists, including your Personally
    Identifiable Information, is considered public and will be accessible to
    anyone on the web.

Mailing lists are often also archived by others, e.g. marc.info and Gmane. The
FreeBSD project has no control over these other copies, so removing them from
the FreeBSD archive would not remove them from the internet and would
essentially be futile.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)