is pkg saying courier and postfix are incompatible?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 19 06:44:37 UTC 2014

On 19/09/2014 00:28, Dale Scott wrote:
> I installed postfix-2.11.1_4,1 as a pkg and just noticed "pkg info
> postfix" reports DOVECOT and OPENLDAP options are off. Do I need
> these in my scenarios? I didn't put a ports tree on this system to
> see if it was possible to build a system from packages only, but am
> also not averse to recognizing it was pipe dream (and remember how to
> use portmaster again).

You can use postfix with dovecot without having to enable the DOVECOT
option -- as I recall, that's something to do with postfix using the
dovecot authentication mechanisms.

You only need OPENLDAP turned on for postfix if you want to use ldap
lookups.  (Well Duh!) For a stand-alone system without many users, ldap
is overkill, and you would generally be better off using lmdb or bdb
files instead (I prefer lmdb -- seems simpler and to have fewer overheads).

> Is there anything special needed in Dovecot?

No.  Either you configure postfix to use dovecot's delivery agent, or
you make postfix speak LMTP to dovecot: from dovecot's perspective it
doesn't need to know anything about or do anything differently depending
on what MTA you're using.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--