is pkg saying courier and postfix are incompatible?

Dale Scott dalescott at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 18 23:29:05 UTC 2014

Thanks Matthew, good to hear. I had planned to first test basic mailing from web apps with mail going to local system users, and use mutt to see mail in local Maildir/ mailboxes. After seeing it work, I then want to provide imap/pop3 access to mail. Finally, switch to virtual or non-system-users (to avoid need to create system users).

I installed postfix-2.11.1_4,1 as a pkg and just noticed "pkg info postfix" reports DOVECOT and OPENLDAP options are off. Do I need these in my scenarios? I didn't put a ports tree on this system to see if it was possible to build a system from packages only, but am also not averse to recognizing it was pipe dream (and remember how to use portmaster again).

Is there anything special needed in Dovecot?

Fwiw, I'm also finding I can demo workflows with emails much faster using Mutt (and multiple terminal sessions), than could be done demoing with Outlook and mousing/clicking around.

Regards,
Dale