minder

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 16 15:05:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, October 16, 2014 9:46 am, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 08:02:46AM +0800, Fbsd8 wrote:
>> BSD IS NOT A FAVOR OF LINUX. FreeBSD and Linux are complete independent
>> re-writes of Unix. The other BSD's are forks of FreeBSD.
>
> False.
>
> NetBSD was derived from 386BSD which itself was derived from UCB's Net/2
> release. But the Net/2 code was replaced with 4.4BSD-Lite code since -Lite
> was unencumbered. Replacing the Net/2 code was a process.
>
> FreeBSD 1 was I believe derived from that same 386BSD codebase. But
> FreeBSD
> 2.0 was totally redone with 4.4BSD-Lite. The replacement was done as a
> sharp break.
>
> Also, don't confuse 386BSD with BSD/386 which was a commercial system.
>
> The remaining BSD's were forks of one of those original two. But claiming
> that they were all forks of FreeBSD is simply incorrect.

Thanks for clarification. But even explained it not as exactly as you do,
he still corrected gross misunderstanding, as originally someone claimed
that FreeBSD is a derivative of Linux. Which was grossly wrong. I was
tempted to correct that person myself by mentioning that Linux grew up
into "UNIX-like" system much later than FreeBSD emerged as a sort of
successor of UNIX. (and now the trend looks to me like Linux is more and
more becoming M$ Windows-like ;-). Anyway he beated me to correct this
gross incorrectness, but thanks to adding these details!

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago